A system of coordinated care
As health care has evolved through health care reform initiatives, the integration of traditional primary care and mental health and substance abuse services has become more widely recognized as a new model of providing high quality and cost effective treatment, resulting in improved health outcomes and enhanced patient experience.
In a fully integrated health system, mental health and primary care professionals share worksites, information systems and patient care plans. A care team works collaboratively with the consumer to ensure a seamless continuum of care, coordinating enabling services, specialty care and follow up appointments to support the primary medical and behavioral health needs of the individual.
The Sunflower Foundation supports primary care and behavioral health safety net systems that endeavor to move toward integrated service delivery models. Current examples of the Sunflower Foundation’s work in this area are:
- Education and technical assistance for providers and clinicians interested in developing an integrated system.
- Support to help providers assess their capacity and readiness for integrated care.
- Integrated Care grants (currently targeted to primary care and behavioral care safety-net providers) to help support the transition to integrated care.
Learning collaboratives that foster shared learning and information.
Integrated Care Initiative Learning Collaborative - October 2014
Resource from Dr. Tillman Farley, Medical Director of Salud Family Health Centers in Colorado:
→ "Integrating Behavioral Health, Dental Health, Legal Services, and Beyond"
Resource from Joan Tammany, Director of Quality, Risk Management, Compliance and Innovation at COMCARE of Sedgwick County:
→ "Beating the Blues: Using Technology to Increase Access to Treatment for Depression and Anxiety"
Resource from Jana Zaudke, MD, and Wendi Born, PhD:
→ "Building an Ark: Antcipating the Future of Healthcare"
Integrated Care Initiative Learning Collaborative - October 2013
Resources from Jenny Crawford JD, LCWS-C, Deputy Director, Center for Integrated Health Solutions:
→ Moving from Competition to Collaboration: Building Strong Partnerships to Make Integration Work
Clinical Considerations for Integrating Primary Care into the Mental Health Setting
Resource from Trip Gardner, MD, Chief Psychiatric Officer and Medical Director, Homeless Services, Penobscot Community Health Care:
→ Top 10 Potholes on the Road to… Integration
Resources from Becky Hayes Boober, PhD, Senior Program Officer, Maine Health Access Foundation:
→ Making the Numbers Count: How Do We Know if Integrated Care Works and Who Cares?
Plan, Do, Study, Act (PDSA) Model
Resource from Becky Hayes Boober, PhD and Trip Gardner, MD:
→ From Head to Toe: Integrated Care to Meet the Whole Person’s Needs
Integrated Care Initiative Grantee Orientation - March 2013
Katherine Sanchez, LSCW, PhD, spoke to Sunflower Foundation Integrated Care grantees during an orientation session in March, 2013, and presented the following information:
→ There's No Place Like Home (Presentation)
→ Preparing for integration: Tools for assessing organizational readiness, team building, and setting outcome goals (Presentation)
→ Enhancing the Delivery of Health Care: Eliminating Health Disparities through a Culturally & Linguistically
→ Centered Integrated Health Care Approach (Report)
General Integrated Care Resources
- Atlas of the Integrated Behavioral Health Care Quality Measures
- Lexicon for Behavioral Health and Primary Care Integration
- Mental Health, Primary Care, and Substance Abuse Interagency Collaboration Tool Kit
- Site Self Assessment Survey
- SAMHSA-HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions
- Behavioral Health Homes for People with Mental Health & Substance Use Conditions, SAMHSA-HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions
- The Business Case for Bidirectional Integrated Care
- AIMS Center, Advancing Integrated Mental Health Solutions, Online IMPACT Training
- Cherokee Health Systems Integrated Care Training Academy
- Cherokee Health Systems Integrated Care Training Academy Tradebook
Current funding opportunities
Please sign up for eNews announcements to receive updates for future grant opportunities.